Hello, everyone! I wanted to share a few of my favorite tricks and tips for memorization. Memorizing songs is something that comes very easily to some, and not at all to others, but it is a skill that can be strengthened and developed.
Here are some of the things I do when I am working on memorizing something:
- Write out the lyrics.
- With a partner, speak through the lyrics together. The way this works is your partner holds the music/lyrics and says the first word. Then, you say the second word, your partner says the third, and so on. It’s surprisingly tricky, and really helpful!
- Look at your music one phrase or section at a time, really look at it, then close your eyes and keep visualizing the music on the page, and sing it. Work through the song this way, spending more time on the phrases that you have trouble remembering.
- Imagine yourself singing the song. Really hear it in your head, in YOUR voice, the way you want to sing it. This is great for when you want to practice without making noise, or if you want to keep working on a song without tiring out your voice.
- Working on the scene or story of a song can also help with memorization. Spend some time creating the world of the song inside your head, and connect the lyrics to the emotions that your character is feeling.
- For more advanced musicians, harmonic analysis of the song can also be helpful. This works especially well for more modern or challenging pieces. Understanding where the points of harmonic tension and release occur, and how that relates to the vocal line, helps me remember the structure of the piece and what comes next.
That’s all I could think of so far. I’d love to hear any other favorite memorization tips or tricks that work for you, so please share them in the comments!